NSFAF expands funding eligibility, abolishes means testing

NAMPA
2025-01-15
WINDHOEK, 14 January 2025 - NSFAF Chief Executive Officer Kennedy Kandume, NSFAF Chairperson Stephen Tjiuro and Higher Education Deputy Minister, Nathalia /Goagoses. (Photo by Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA WINDHOEK, 14 January 2025 - NSFAF Chief Executive Officer Kennedy Kandume, NSFAF Chairperson Stephen Tjiuro and Higher Education Deputy Minister, Nathalia /Goagoses. (Photo by Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 15 JAN (NAMPA) - The Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF) has amended its policy to allow funding for certificates at NQF level 5 and will, as of this year, also do away with the means-testing and income threshold.
In her keynote address at the launch of the NSFAF 2025 online loan application on Tuesday, Deputy Minister of Higher Education, Technology and Innovation, Natalia /Goagoses, said the amended NSFAF Policy is a paradigm shift from a loan scheme that has been a pro-poor student funding system to an inclusive multi-optional student loan system (IM-OSLS).
“The IM-OSLS aims to fund eligible Namibians from all walks of life to access higher education and training and accelerate the acquisition of requisite knowledge and technical skills, in approved priority fields of study and areas of acute skills deficit,” /Goagoses said.
The fund will also expand loan funding options such as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) funding after completion of a bridging programme/readiness programme, repeaters and articulations funding into diplomas, bachelors and vocational training levels.
“This initiative is a testament to our commitment to empowering the youth, promoting equity, and ensuring that financial barriers do not stand in the way of talent and potential,” the deputy minister said.
On his part, NSFAF acting Chief Executive Officer, Kennedy Kandume said a total 31 144 applications were submitted last year, of which 8 805 were rejected by the fund due to falling outside the eligibility criteria.
“Our projections are that if we implement the new inclusive multi-optional student loan system, the fund will need over N.dollars 3 billion as the number of new students is expected to increase to over 30 000,” Kandume said.
(NAMPA)
EB/EK/AS

Latest NAMPA photos

CAPE TOWN, 19 August 2026 - South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Gayton McKenzie speaking at Iziko Museum in Cape Town, South Africa during the handing over of remains of former Robben Island prisoners in partnership with the Namibian government. (Photo: Contributed)

CAPE TOWN, 19 August 2026 - South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Gayton McKenzie speaking at Iziko Museum in Cape Town, South Africa during the handing over of remains of former Robben Island prisoners in partnership with the Namibian government. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Minister of Education, Innovation, Youth, Sports, Arts and Culture, Sanet Steenkamp speaking at the Iziko Museum in Cape Town, South Africa during the handing over of the remains of former Robben Island prisoners in partnership with the South African Department of Sport, Arts and Culture. (Photo: Contributed) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Minister of Education, Innovation, Youth, Sports, Arts and Culture, Sanet Steenkamp speaking at the Iziko Museum in Cape Town, South Africa during the handing over of the remains of former Robben Island prisoners in partnership with the South African Department of Sport, Arts and Culture. (Photo: Contributed) NAMPA

NAMPA
OPUWO, 19 August 2026 - Members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Youth, Civic Relations and Community Development during an oversight visit to assess the implementation of the Youth Development Fund and progress on basic sports facilities in the Kunene Region on Tuesday. (Photo by: Kaviveterue Virere) NAMPA

OPUWO, 19 August 2026 - Members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Youth, Civic Relations and Community Development during an oversight visit to assess the implementation of the Youth Development Fund and progress on basic sports facilities in the Kunene Region on Tuesday. (Photo by: Kaviveterue Virere) NAMPA

NAMPA
KATIMA MULILO, 19 August 2026 - The Zambezi Vocational Training Centre (ZVTC) on Wednesday received 300 pieces of Kiaat timber planks from the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism. (Photo: Contributed)

KATIMA MULILO, 19 August 2026 - The Zambezi Vocational Training Centre (ZVTC) on Wednesday received 300 pieces of Kiaat timber planks from the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Travis Smithard, CEO of Rhino Resources, at the official opening of the fourth edition of the Namibia Oil and Gas Conference. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Travis Smithard, CEO of Rhino Resources, at the official opening of the fourth edition of the Namibia Oil and Gas Conference. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Vice President Lucia Witbooi, at the official opening of the fourth edition of the Namibia Oil and Gas Conference. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Vice President Lucia Witbooi, at the official opening of the fourth edition of the Namibia Oil and Gas Conference. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

NAMPA
steenkamp

steenkamp

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Minister of Industries, Mines and Energy Modestus Amutse. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 19 August 2026 - Minister of Industries, Mines and Energy Modestus Amutse. (Photo by: Justina Shuumbwa) NAMPA

NAMPA