Construction of Windhoek District Hospital commences

NAMPA
2025-04-23
WINDHOEK, 23 April- Minister of health and Social Services, Esperance Luvindao flanked by Health ED Penda Ithindi, Kongo Group PTY Managing Director Kongo Mokaxwa and Burmeister & Partners Managing Director, Ronald Kubas. (Photo by Eba Kandovazu). NAMPA WINDHOEK, 23 April- Minister of health and Social Services, Esperance Luvindao flanked by Health ED Penda Ithindi, Kongo Group PTY Managing Director Kongo Mokaxwa and Burmeister & Partners Managing Director, Ronald Kubas. (Photo by Eba Kandovazu). NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 23 APR (NAMPA) - The bulk civil works for the much-anticipated multimillion dollar Windhoek District Hospital on the outskirts of the Havana informal settlement commenced on Tuesday.
The N.dollars 25 million contract has been awarded to Kongom Group, in partnership with Genmael Investments CC.
According to the Ministry of Health Executive Director, Penda Ithindi, completion of the first phase of construction for the 500-bed facility is slated for completion by December 2025.
Health Minister Esperance Luvindao in her keynote address said the construction of the hospital will ease the burden on the existing 10 clinics, two health centres, Katutura Intermediate Hospital and the Central Hospital in the Windhoek district, which are overstretched.
“Just last month, Katutura Intermediate Hospital reported a staggering 50 per cent increase in patient admissions compared to previous years. Patients are waiting more hours, sometimes even days, for treatment. Mothers giving birth have had to endure exceedingly long labour hours in overcrowded wards. Chronic patients often struggle to secure timely appointments, jeopardising their health and wellbeing,” Luvindao said.
The construction, she added, will further significantly improve access to healthcare for Windhoek residents and beyond.
She also noted that efforts are underway to bring electrical services to the hospital site, under a separate N.dollars 17 million contract.
(NAMPA)
EB/AS

Latest NAMPA photos

SWAKOPMUND, 29 August 2025 - A nurse of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) photographed with patients who sought medical services during an outreach programme. (Photo: Contributed)

SWAKOPMUND, 29 August 2025 - A nurse of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) photographed with patients who sought medical services during an outreach programme. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
SWAKOPMUND, 29 August 2025 - A nurse of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) attending to a patient during one of their outreaches. (Photo: Contributed)

SWAKOPMUND, 29 August 2025 - A nurse of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) attending to a patient during one of their outreaches. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
RUACANA, 29 August 2025 - Nampower handed over medical equipment to the Omusati Health Directorate on Friday. (Photo by: Maria David) NAMPA

RUACANA, 29 August 2025 - Nampower handed over medical equipment to the Omusati Health Directorate on Friday. (Photo by: Maria David) NAMPA

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 29 August 2025 - Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism (MEFT) Environmental Commissioner, Timoteus Mufeti speaks during the Nature, People and Climate Investment Plan validation workshop in Windhoek. (Photo: Edward Tenete) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 29 August 2025 - Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism (MEFT) Environmental Commissioner, Timoteus Mufeti speaks during the Nature, People and Climate Investment Plan validation workshop in Windhoek. (Photo: Edward Tenete) NAMPA

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 21 August 2025 – Brave Warriors head coach, Collin Benjamin at a training session ahead of Namibia’s upcoming International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) World Cup qualifiers against Malawi, at the CBS training ground in Windhoek. (Photo by: Hesron Kapanga) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 21 August 2025 – Brave Warriors head coach, Collin Benjamin at a training session ahead of Namibia’s upcoming International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) World Cup qualifiers against Malawi, at the CBS training ground in Windhoek. (Photo by: Hesron Kapanga) NAMPA

NAMPA
KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - Members of the Namibian Defence Force marches to commemorate Heroes Day in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - Members of the Namibian Defence Force marches to commemorate Heroes Day in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

NAMPA
KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah at the Heroes Day commemoration in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah at the Heroes Day commemoration in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

NAMPA
KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - A section of the war veteran for the liberation struggle of Namibia at the Heroes Day commemoration in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

KATIMA MULILO, 26 August 2025 - A section of the war veteran for the liberation struggle of Namibia at the Heroes Day commemoration in Katima Mulilo on Tuesday. (Photo: Mulisa Simiyasa) NAMPA

NAMPA