Passenger arrested after bomb scare at HKIA

NAMPA
2025-01-15
WINDHOEK - The Hosea Kutako International Airport. (Photo: Contributed) WINDHOEK - The Hosea Kutako International Airport. (Photo: Contributed)
WINDHOEK, 15 JAN (NAMPA) - The Namibia Airports Company (NAC) has confirmed the arrest of an individual following a bomb threat at the Hosea Kutako International Airport on Tuesday.
According to NAC spokesperson Dan Kamati, the suspect was a passenger who boarded a departing regional flight. The bomb threat, he explained, was confirmed to be a security breach.
“Necessary security protocols were activated, which amongst others included the involvement of the Namibian Police Force bomb squad. Following swift action by stakeholders the flight was cleared, and the airport was reopened for normal operations,” he said.
Kamati further noted that airport security and safety are the responsibility of all stakeholders, stressing that any threats to the safety and security of the airport and its operations will be dealt with decisively and accordingly.
Namibian Police Force spokesperson, Deputy Commissioner Kauna Shikwambi, also confirmed the incident.
“The police were alerted and our explosives experts were dispatched to the airport. All necessary security checks were done and so far, the airline is cleared and free from explosives. It was a false alarm,” she said.
(NAMPA)
EB/AS

Latest NAMPA photos

WINDHOEK, 28 November 2025 - The Alte Feste building in Windhoek. (Photo: Contributed)

WINDHOEK, 28 November 2025 - The Alte Feste building in Windhoek. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
EENHANA, 27 November 2025 - Ohangwena Chief Regional Officer, Filipus Shilongo. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA

EENHANA, 27 November 2025 - Ohangwena Chief Regional Officer, Filipus Shilongo. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA

NAMPA
EENHANA, 26 November 2025 - Helena Ekondo pictured with her family at Opalasa informal settlement. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA

EENHANA, 26 November 2025 - Helena Ekondo pictured with her family at Opalasa informal settlement. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA

NAMPA
The logo of the Electoral Commission of Namibia

The logo of the Electoral Commission of Namibia

NAMPA
OUTJO, 27 November 2025 - Returning Officer for the Outjo Constituency, Elrico Uirab presenting the final results at the collation centre at the Etoshapoort Community Hall in Outjo. (Photo by: Dalene Kooper) NAMPA

OUTJO, 27 November 2025 - Returning Officer for the Outjo Constituency, Elrico Uirab presenting the final results at the collation centre at the Etoshapoort Community Hall in Outjo. (Photo by: Dalene Kooper) NAMPA

NAMPA
RUNDU, 27 November 2025 - Swapo Party’s Stefanus Sinonge celebrating his victory with party members at the Rundu Urban collation centre. (Photo by: Sawi Hausiku) NAMPA

RUNDU, 27 November 2025 - Swapo Party’s Stefanus Sinonge celebrating his victory with party members at the Rundu Urban collation centre. (Photo by: Sawi Hausiku) NAMPA

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 27 November 2025 - Peter Shaama, the Electoral Commission of Namibia's Chief Electoral Referenda Officer. (Photo by: Molly Weyulu) NAMPA

WINDHOEK, 27 November 2025 - Peter Shaama, the Electoral Commission of Namibia's Chief Electoral Referenda Officer. (Photo by: Molly Weyulu) NAMPA

NAMPA
RUNDU, 27 November 2025 - The Rundu Magistrate’s Court administration block which caught fire on Thursday. (Photo by: Sawi Hausiku) NAMPA

RUNDU, 27 November 2025 - The Rundu Magistrate’s Court administration block which caught fire on Thursday. (Photo by: Sawi Hausiku) NAMPA

NAMPA